Click column header to sort
Join our Team and help inspire the next generation of Data Professionals. CR is currently seeking a talented full time Data Scientist. We are a mission based non profit organization with data and technology at our core. We design, develop, and deploy sophisticated data driven products and services. If you are a data professional who wants to help us level the playing field for all consumers, CR may be the place for you!
The Data Scientist will support data-driven decision-making at Consumer Reports by providing new insights to business from data through the use of modern data technologies and applied data science. Collaborating with cross functioning teams and translating business challenges to specific data science problems with measurable outcomes will be key. She/he will add value by augmenting new insights from internal/external data sets to elevate our membership offering for audience growth and power new business opportunities with speed and scale.
- Analyze business requirements from cross functional teams and translate to technical data science problems
- Collaborate with business, product and engineering teams to build end-to-end data science pipelines
- Gather data from various sources and assess business utility
- Perform exploratory data analysis, feature-engineering/selection
- Apply data science techniques to get insights out of data
- Build and tune Machine Learning models
- Develop prototypes and visuals to illustrate insights
Consumer Reports is looking for a Senior Experience Designer who wants to help launch new products that change people’s lives for the better. We are a non-profit organization made up of scientists, journalists, advocates, and technologists. Together, we continue to have a bold and lasting impact in new and different ways to match the changing consumer marketplace.
You’ll work with our New Ventures Innovation team, a part of our organization’s multi-faceted mission to continue to have more meaning where consumers need it most -- in the areas of personal finance, data privacy, home management, and safety. We need a passionate and experienced designer for this agile, start-up team to help ideate, launch, and grow new digital products. Recently, this team launched the all-in-one, Webby-nominated app for maintaining your home - UpKept.
What You'll Do:
- Work side-by-side with product and user research teams to isolate and test the best products for key user problem spaces
- Design fast and iterative prototypes to communicate and market possible experiences
- Know principles of design thinking and be connected to all aspects of user research techniques
- Lead working sessions with the team to help problem solve and brainstorm
- Generate storyboards, task flows, consumer journeys, and animated experience prototypes
- Collaborate with outside design agencies and visual designers for execution as necessary
- Be an active advocate for the user, both in the work you create and in the conversations you have with stakeholders
We’re looking for a motivated writer/reporter eager to learn the ropes at CR while building key service journalism skills working closely with our editors and product specialists. This writer will collaborate with CR’s product testers and product writers from multiple teams to keep our core content up to date, SEO-optimized, and inclusive of the latest marketplace trends. The work is fast-paced, data-driven, and the ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a highly matrixed environment. This position will also assist CR’s product journalists in writing and reporting about new products and trends.
- Update and maintain various forms of content (articles, buying guides, product descriptions) across multiple product categories.
- Coordinate with product specialists, test engineers, as well as writers and editors to keep content fresh, up-to-date, and on-trend.
- Assist in reporting and writing product and service stories in coordination with CR’s testers and other product journalists.
- Work closely with CR’s search engine optimization (SEO) team to optimize content for search and discovery.
The Community and Corporate Engagement team builds strategic and lasting partnerships with consumers, allies, and business leaders to make our communities and futures safer, fairer and more sustainable.
The Director, Corporate Strategy & Engagement will play a leading role in driving strategy that leverages the power of business to create social impact that is sustainable and at scale, to create shared value in support of CR’s efforts to change the marketplace. The Director will leverage the organization’s expertise to drive strategic corporate engagement by partnering with corporations and industry to drive supply side change and/or engaging in campaigns to change the behaviors of corporations and industry through the demand side. The Director will work collaboratively with internal stakeholders to build out corporate engagement pilots that align with organizational goals for change.
- Shape a vision for corporate strategy & engagement that leverages CR’s assets and consumers’ insights to shape a fair and just marketplace, defining goals, strategies and metrics.
- Work with internal stakeholders to build out a framework that maps the current corporate landscape and integrates organizational campaign themes and goals into a corporate strategy and engagement plan.
- Develop a deep understanding of strategies in CR’s consumer impact areas (cars, food, home, money, tech/privacy) and marketplace change priorities (safety, digital rights, financial fairness, and sustainability) and helps the team plan and coordinate related partner efforts.
- Identify new opportunities for engagement with industry leaders, stakeholders and trade associations.
- Collaborate across the organization, including with subject matter experts and communications strategists on the identification and execution of priority campaigns.
- Identify the expertise, talent, digital tools and other resources to achieve goals.
- As appropriate, acts as public spokesperson to support CR’s external communications strategy on marketplace change and consumer power.
The DevOps Engineer is part of a team supporting the production infrastructure for the delivery of web applications to millions of CRO users. This role is responsible for supporting the DevOps team in building and managing various routine components of CR’s web infrastructure focusing on continuous integration, automated software releases, configuration management and system management in a high-availability cloud environment.
- Participate in the creation and management of routine software delivery, systems
integration, and developer support tools
- Collaborate with developers, business staff or other project team members to troubleshoot issues as required and implements quality software delivery solutions
- Support, troubleshoots , and maintain production systems.
- Perform routine maintenance including patching and upgrades on all systems to ensure security compliance and system health
- Help streamline software development by contributing to the implementation of a continual integration process and automating manual processes
- Ensure the integration of the web servers and all other supporting systems
- Help with performance tuning, load testing, optimization of information/data processing,maintenance and support of the production environment.
- Research new automation techniques and solutions to improve efficiency and quality
- Standardize, automate, and document setup of development and production
We have an opening for an experienced laboratory scientist or engineer to join Consumer Reports’ Research, Testing, and Insights team. The successful candidate is expected to work closely with the Program Manager of Test Data and Instrumentation. The work will involve comparative test programs of consumer products, goods, and services, typically including consumer products and services that are similar and/or have some relationship with each other. (Examples might include refrigerators and freezers, or desktop and laptop computers, etc.) The ideal candidate will be someone who solves problems and takes ownership of their work, and retains a sense of urgency to meet project deadlines. We are looking for candidates with innovative and energetic personalities who are willing to explore new ideas, and strong team players with excellent communication skills. This position is for an Experienced Electronics Scientist or Engineer to build, maintain, and service a collection of high-end testing laboratories and a cloud-based data acquisition and retention system.
- Plans, coordinates and oversees the coordination of data acquisition and data transit for RTI projects, ensuring that testing protocols and procedures are properly implemented as they relate to data acquisition, quality, accuracy, repeatability, reproducibility, dependability and integrity
- Helps to build test equipment and data acquisition schemes to accomplish goals defined by test protocols and to preserve fluid data capture onto the RTI Data Platform, as required. Enables a centralized, consistent process for data transfer and data arrangement within Snowflake and the rest of the data platform
- Accelerate and streamline data transfer from various sources (testing labs, survey, consumer experience, safety/sustainability, ICRT, third-party labs, etc.)
- Evaluates and recommends improvements to existing test procedures, as required
- Ensures maintenance and calibration of lab equipment, as required
- Uses Lean techniques to identify value-add features and applications within the RTI Data Platform and its components
- Provides ad hoc data reports as needed
The role is responsible for leading strategic planning, innovation and market intelligence at Consumer Reports. The candidate will support the department’s data analysis needs as well as the organization’s content classification needs. This role will require cross-divisional collaboration with various stakeholders to acquire and organize data and content assets and assist with expansion of Consumer Report’s enterprise-wide Taxonomy.
- Assist with answering questions/hypotheses to inform key business priorities based on analysis of internal and external data sources.
- Prepare performance analytics and metrics used by stakeholders to identify and support growth opportunity.
- Represent enterprise view on projects related to new data opportunities, search capabilities, content development, new products, and other strategic initiatives.
- Partner with cross-divisional team to collect, aggregate, and analyze data from multiple internal and external sources, make recommendations on ways to improve business performance.
- Create and support data science models through programming in Python and R with emphasis on natural language processing and machine learning algorithms.
- Work across all divisions and products to help manage and maintain controlled vocabularies and metadata.
- Participate in developing and aligning taxonomies for classifying assets across product, service, testing and content areas.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders to ensure the taxonomy evolves with the business and new initiatives apply a data-centric methodology from concept through implementation.
This position leads the Information Security group reporting to the Chief Technology Officer at Consumer Reports. The group is responsible for the creation, management and implementation of various InfoSec policies, standards and processes across all areas of the organization.
- Create and manage Information Security policies, standards, guidelines and procedures to ensure ongoing maintenance of Consumer Reports’ computer security posture.
- Oversee and coordinate Information Security efforts across the organization, including Information Technology, HR, Legal, Digital Products, etc.
- Identify and prioritize security initiatives and standards.
- Work closely with the engineering and architecture groups to deliver secure, stable and scalable solutions.
- Participate in project reviews and approve security architectures associated with each initiative.
- Help develop policies and procedures in areas such as business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning and testing.
- Work closely with key stakeholders, such as the Chief Privacy Officer, to help develop and oversee incident response policies and privacy controls.
- Develop policies and procedures and oversee investigation of security breaches.
- Manage the Information Security function (and staff).
- Build and maintain strong relationships at senior management levels and strong working partnerships with peer level stakeholders.
- Maintain additional dotted line reporting to the CFO and Chief Digital Officer.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Consumer Reports is looking for a Data Scientist to extract, load, and transform large amounts of raw and curated laboratory testing and survey data to facilitate the identification and analysis of patterns that will yield monetizable insights on the consumer marketplace. We will rely on you to partner with your colleagues in testing, survey, and statistics to integrate data together that will lead to substantive information and insights into consumer products, goods, and services, including elements of safety and sustainability of those consumer products. In this role, you should be highly analytical with a knack for analysis, statistics, and engineering. Critical thinking and problem-solving skills are essential for curating data.
- Identify valuable data sources and automate collection processes
- Undertake preprocessing of structured and unstructured data
- Analyze large amounts of information to discover trends and patterns
- Build predictive models and machine-learning algorithms
- Combine models through ensemble modeling
- Present information using data visualization techniques
- We will rely on you to build data products to facilitate the extraction of valuable insights into our consumer product testing and survey.
- Integrate valued data sources and automate the data architecture processes
We’re looking for a highly motivated leader to build and manage a small team of staff and freelance writers tasked with ensuring our content is optimized and maintained. This team will work closely with CR’s editors and test experts in the Home, Tech, Health, Food, Cars, Money, and Shopping categories to ensure all of our content is up-to-date, SEO optimized, and inclusive of the latest marketplace trends. The work is fast-paced, data-driven, and the ideal candidate will have excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a highly matrixed environment. This leader will also have the opportunity to grow and develop new talent for CR’s Content team, and suggest new opportunities for our testers and editors to grow the product categories we evaluate.
- Lead a small team of staff and freelance writer/reporters to maintain and update content from across CR’s digital portfolio.
- Work closely with subject matter experts on other CR editorial, testing, and market analyst teams to ensure accuracy and currency of content.
- Collaborate with Content Operations team to maintain detailed calendar and schedule of content production and publication.
- Use scheduling, workflow, and workforce management tools to plan content assignments months in advance.
- Work with SEO team to anticipate demand cycles for seasonal content.